The World Cup
- What is your opinion of the decision to hold the FIFA World Cup in Brazil in 2014?
- Would you like to go to Brazil to watch the tournament, or are you put off by stories of high crime rates?
- In December 2013 there were a lot of rumours on the internet claiming that the draw was fixed or manipulated in some way. What is your opinion?
- Do you think your country is in a good group?
- At least two groups have been labelled "Group of Death". Which one deserves the title?
- Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile and Australia
- Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana and United States
- Which matches do you expect to watch on TV?
- During what hours will the matches be played in your timezone?
- Which do you think is the most important or exciting - the World Cup or the Olympics? Why?
- The world cup takes place every four years. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of holding it (a) more frequently and (b) less frequently?
- How do you feel about important matches being decided on penalties? Do you enjoy watching penalty shootouts? Can you think of a better system?
- In your country do people find time to watch matches when they should be working or studying? How?
- All the matches should be available on-line along with the scores. How would you react if your employer filtered your internet access so that you could not obtain this information?
- How do you prefer to watch matches if you are not at the stadium? At home alone, at home with friends, in a bar/pub, on a giant screen in the street ...
- Hooliganism is frequently a problem at football matches. Why do you think that football has this problem?
- What steps can the organisers take to reduce hooliganism's impact at the World Cup?
- What do you think of the idea that international football matches are really a substitute for war?
- How do you react if your team scores a goal?
- In many sports in the US there are teams of cheerleaders who lead the cheering. What do you think of this practice?
- Which teams do you expect to do well, and which team do you think could win next year? Why?
- What is your opinion of your country's football team?
- How well did they do in the last competition?
- Different countries are said to have different playing styles. How would you describe: Brazil, Italy, England, Spain.
- If you were in Brazil and could only watch one match - which two teams would you like to see play against each other.
- Do you think that each team's national manager or coach should be a native of that country? Why, why not?
- Which international players do you expect to shine?
- Who do you think is the best player in the world at the moment?
- Who do you think was the best player of all time?
- Which players from your national team do you expect to do well?
- Are there any players from your country who you feel should be playing but who have not been selected?
The competition so far
- Useful after 12 June 2014
- What is the best goal you have seen so far?
- What has been the silliest goal so far?
- Which teams do you think are playing the best at the moment?
- What do you think is the most surprising result so far? Why?
- Some teams have had internal troubles. Which teams had or are having the most problems and what are they?
- What stories have your heard about: England, Spain, France?
- What do you think about the standard of the refereeing?
- What do you think has been the worst referring decision so far?
- Would you like to see some technological system introduced to help referees when they make decisions? What sort of technological system?
- Have there been many professional fouls in the games you have seen?
ESL CELTA TEFL TESL questions and discussion topics The Wrld Cup 2014 Brasil for use when teaching English as a foreign or second language. Discussion topics questions and ideas for teaching Adult ESL English as a foreign language / teaching abroad.Discussion topics questions and ideas for teaching Adult ESL English as a foreign language / teaching abroad, ESL lessons, speaking practice, debate clubs, lesson add-ons, and more. TESFL TESL EFL ESL