Business ethicsWould you work for a company who were known to do bad things if your wages were high enough?
Do you know of any companies which operate inethically?
- Which one (s)?
- What do they do that is unethical?
Can you think of an example whereby a company has created a positive impact on a community, or society as a whole?
Can you think of an example whereby a company has come into conflict with a local community?
- What created the problem?
- Was it resolved?
- Who lost or gained from the conflict?
- Is there one particular company you would like to be a part of? Why?
- Is there one particular company you would definitely not want to be a part of? Why?
- Would you prefer to work in a large international company or a small local company? Why?
- Which type of company do you think treats their staff better - small family companies or big international ones?
- How would you feel if your company asked you to move to a different country to help your career?
- Customer service is important for successful companies. Can you think of any companies with good or bad customer service? What is good or bad about their service?
- What reputation for customer service do internet service providers and telephone companies have in your country?
- If you have a complaint about a company how is it usually received in your country?
- Writing letters of complaint is a favourite exam task. Have you ever actually written a letter of complaint? What was the result?
- When you are using a company's customer service what do you expect from them? e.g. to be knowledgeable, courteous, responsive and timely or attentive.
GeneralWhat springs to mind when you hear the word ‘company’?
What are your favourite companies?
Which company would you love to work for and why?
Which companies do you dislike most?
Have you ever written a letter of complaint to a company?
Which companies do you think provide the best customer service and best products?
Do you prefer bricks-and-mortar companies or Internet companies?
Amazon.com founder and boss Jeff Bezos said: "A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person." What does he mean and what do you think of this?
Mary Kay Ash said: "People are definitely a company’s greatest asset." Do you think this is true all over the world? How about in your country?
Andrew Grove said: "In the future, all companies will be Internet companies." Do you agree? Would this be a good or bad thing?
Monopolies and cartels
- Are monopolies a good thing?
- Are government monopolies acceptable but private ones not?
- What do you think about cartels (situations where a group of independent companies works together to control a market)?
- What is your opinion of OPEC?
- Do countries have the right to do what they like with their oil?
- Why not have other cartels for wood, copper, and gas?
What is a multinational?
What are some of the multinationals operationg in your country?
What are some of the multinationals operating in this country?
What famous multinationals were started in your country / this country?
Do you think that a company becomes more or less efficiant as it grows in size?
Would you like to work for a company that operates in many countries?
Would you be prepared to live and work in a different country?
Self-employmentAre you self-employed?
Have you always been self-employed?
Why did you start your own business?
What are some things that you need to consider when starting your own business?
Is it easy to start a business in your country?
Have you ever worked for a self-employed person?
Would you be happier if you were self-employed?
What are some of the difficulties in being self-employed?
What are the benefits of self-employment over working for an individual or organisation?
What are (do you think are) the biggest challenges facing somebody who is self-employed?
TaxDo you think that income tax in your country is too high?
What images spring to mind when you hear the word ‘tax’?
Do you think paying tax is a good or bad thing?
What would happen in your country if everyone stopped paying tax?
Do you know what taxes are spent on in your country?
Would you like to move to a country where there are no taxes?
Is tax an important issue at election time?
What do you think of sales / consumption tax put on the things you buy?
Would you like to be able to choose how your taxes are spent?
Would you look for ways to avoid paying tax?
How do the tax rates in your country compare with those in neighbouring countries?
ESL CELTA TEFL questions and discussion topics Business English including Tax, Customer Service, Self-employment, Multinationals, Monopolies, Cartels and Business Ethics for use when teaching English as a foreign or second language. Discussion topics questions and ideas for teaching Adult ESL English as a foreign language / teaching abroad.Discussion topics questions and ideas for teaching Adult ESL English as a foreign language / teaching abroad, ESL lessons, speaking practice, debate clubs, lesson add-ons, and more.